Friday, June 3, 2022

Churndash SAL

 This is my first Churn Dash block EVER!!  I am participating in Chookyblue's Churn Dash SAL.

This was supposed to be the first block in the quilt, but after I squared it off, I can see that I am going to be losing some of the points.  On some quilts that is tolerable, but on this one, I think the points are such an intergal part of this block, that I would not be able to live with it.

I am using some batik charm packs for this quilt, so my blocks will be much larger than Chooky's (her blocks are 9.5" unfinished) but that only means I can make fewer blocks!!



I know, I know, these fabrics are not the traditional look of a Churn Dash Quilt, but ya know . . . 

I watched Jenny Doan do a video on YouTube for this quilt block, but I am going to need to find another method to make the 1/2 square triangles, so I don't lose the points.  Oh, I know, I think I'll paper-piece them and then ask Janet O. over at Rogue Quilter to rip the papers off for me!! Ha! Ha!


Until next time for the love of Blogging!!

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Ohh, yummy batiks, Kris! Who said a traditional block needs to be made in traditional fabrics? I think this will be fabulous in those batiks!
So what size will your blocks be in the end?
Other readers may not know our private joke about me not liking the process of removing the papers, and you always offering to do it for me, when you lived nearby. I never took you up on it, though, did I? What was I thinking???

Chookyblue...... said...

welcome to the SAL.......goodluck with those points......and yes I agree we need them in this quilt......were the blocks the correct size once you made them? I usually trim mine to the right size once I made them before putting the block together......if it was a little to big that might be why you lost some of the points?
I am using my bloc-loc ruler for the first time and love it........so easy to trim these blocks......

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have fun with the SAL! I'm sewing too, I have 3 finished so far but many more to come! Happy stitching!