Monday, February 14, 2011

Are You Interested in Joining a Virtual Retreat/Swap?? I Hope So!!!

The end of last week I was looking for a new quilt to start and I found one I just love.  I have been seeing a lot of the fun, wonkie quilts on the blogs I "stalk" (that's what my computer Prof. calls it) and when I found this one I said oh, yeah, perfect!!!

Then I started looking at the fabric requirement and saw that even if I just do the small 4-block quilt, I will need 56 different FABRICS (not FQs - this is a change from the original post with a huge thanks to Nanci for catching it).  Then a light went off over my head
and I thought - ya, know this would be a fun quilt to do a virtual swap and retreat.  So, I called Jayme, the owner of Bella Nonna Quilts to tell her my fun idea and see how she wanted me to handle the pattern requirements for my Virtual Retreat/Swap.  Well, Jayme loved my idea and wanted to be part of it and she said she would be very willing to sell me as many patterns as I needed wholesale so I could pass the savings onto the Swap participants.

Here is the quilt I am thinking about:
 This four-block quilt is the small version of the quilt below.  It will finish out at 37-1/2" x 37-1/2".
 Here is my plan:

You will sign up to join the Retreat/Swap.  I am thinking that a maximum of 56 participants will be all I can handle for my first gig as a Swap Mommy.


Each of the participants will send me 14 FQs in polka dot fabric.  This quilt just cries out for polka dots!!!

I will then cut everyone's FQ's into 4ths giving us 56 fat-16ths.

I will then take swap out the fabrics so every one of the participants will get 56 different fabrics from the ones they sent me.

Each participant will also send me $6.00 for the pattern (retail $10.00) and a elf-addressed stamped envelope with enough postage to send your fabric back to you.

Then the Retreat part will be gentle bi-weekly nudges (with a little giftie as the nudge) for the first person each two weeks to post one of their four blocks on Flickr.  We'll start a Flickr account just for us.

At the end of 8 weeks we will all have a darling table topper, wall hanging or fun, funkie baby quilt!!

With this post I am asking all of you that would be interested to either leave a comment or email me at akyoung49@yahoo.com to tell me if you are interested in some spring fun!!  If enough of us are interested, we will get going the first part of next week.  I have some fun extras that I am going to add to the package you will get back!!  Hoo! Hoo!

Also, Jayme said she would share a fun primer she has that discusses all the different types of polka dots we can choose from!!!

ANYONE OUT THERE IN BLOGSVILLE INTERESTED IN A NEW EXPERIENCE???

4 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds like such fun. Too bad I can't join in :( I have two papers to write in the next few weeks.

Cecilia said...

I've never done a virtual swap before, but I love polka dots! I would be interested in doing this if you have enough people interested. I am going out of town tomorrow, but I will be back on Monday.

Unknown said...

I would be interested in this - Deb

Nanci said...

I would be interested also just one question in the beginning you said this quilt uses 56 fat quarters for the small version but we end up with 56 fat-16ths, is there theory that we get more selection and then add the additional once we get everything back?