Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Trying Something New, Again!!

 I have been trying to figure out a way to use alllll the DMC thread and Valdani thread I have inherited from various sources.

First I tried some small counted cross stitch pieces:

This one was really fun, pretty quick and it was a gift for my sweet friend, Janet over at Rogue Quilter.  It didn't even put a dent in my thread stash!!  LOL


So, I thought, I'll try one of those big ginormous, gorgeous Counted Cross Stitch charts over at Heaven and Earth Designs.  Wow!!  What an amazing selection.  I thought I would make one for my brother, Kelly.  I first picked this one:

It finishes out at 21" x 14 1/2 inches using 25 count fabric!!  Tried it and these old eyes just couldn't do it!!  Then I tried another one:


Again, this one finished out at 16" x 19 3/4" on 25 count, so I thought, well, I'll try 18 count Aida.  The size worked but the final piece would be 23" x 28" inches.  NOT!!

So, I decided to try punch needle again.  The first time I tried punch needle I tried using Moda Bella solid quilt fabric.  It was just too, too hard, because the weave is so close, so like I usually do, I put the needle away.

Found it again on Sunday when I was moving around stuff and also found some beautiful linen that I was going to use for something, just can't remember what!!

Tah daa!!


A primitive free hand daisy!!  I promised a friend that I wouldn't just make this one and quit again, so I am working on a cute rabbit.  Stay tuned!!

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

I treasure that little patriotic piece, Kris!
Wow, you really went for the complex designs--more than I would have attempted when my eyes were young and could see detail. LOL
Having never really had the knack for the needle punch stuff (believe me, I tried), I am very impressed with your free-form daisy. Good job, girlfriend.

Rebecca said...

Oh Yah... Needle punch will eat thru the thread much faster then cross stitch or
embroidery....
I have made several pieces that I used as accent pieces on demin jackets and purses.