Friday, August 26, 2011

What in the World??

I was out in blogland a few days ago and saw a product advertised that looked exactly like what I should have had when I was making my fabric postcards.


It is called The Wacker Seams Perfect and it is supposed to flatten multi-layer seams by wacking the seam twice while the seam is still hot.  Sounded like a great idea until I saw how much it cost - anywhere from $14.99 to $17.00 plus shipping and handling on top of that.

Since I am a super cheap skate, my mind went into high gear and I thought, hmmmmmmm, I wonder if a rubber mallet at Home Depot would be less expensive.  Well, yup, I got this beauty at Home Depot (or Lowes or Ace and any good hardware store) for $4.97!!


The difference between my Home Depot Smacker and the Wacker is that the Wacker's wooden handle measures about 8 inches long and my super-duper Smacker's handle is 11 inches.  Also, I would imagine that my Smacker is heavier than the Wacker.  But I'll bet it works just as well!!

And I decided that in order to make my Smacker really special, I would paint the wooden handle my favorite color - lime!!


Now, I am not putting down the Wacker Seams Perfect tool as it is truly inspired and it is a great idea, but the way I look at it, not only do I have fun tool that serves it's purpose, but I also have an extra $10.00 - $12.00 to go out and buy a new yard of fabric or 4 Fat quarters!!  Now, that's my kind of tool!!

Hope all our friends on the East Coast are staying safe!!

4 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

You are so funny! I love your whacker much more! I need a whacker too, but not for quilts. I need to whack David over the head with it for driving me nuts through this hurricane!!! OY! hee,hee,hee.
xx, shell

Vroomans' Quilts said...

GOOD for you - I have been chastizing quilters for paying for a rubber mallet that you can pick up at any hardware store (our dollar store has them). I've had my rubber mallet since dressmaking days - probably paid pennies for back then.

Deb said...

I agree with you and Vrooman's Quilts! Sometmes quilt items can be SO overpriced!! I love that you painted the handle a personal color!

Deb

Carol from Panama said...

A friend sent me a link to your mallet post - it made me smile - here is a post I did on the same subject.

http://pananani.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/rubber-mallet/

Carol
from Panama