Friday, March 15, 2019

The Kingdom of Quilt-a-Lot


Was the theme for the yearly Retreat that I attend!!  We had a blast and I got some UFOs done as far as I could get on them.  Ha!  They were so old that on a couple of them I couldn't even remember what they were, so I just went with what felt right!!


This one was a bunch of 2-1/2 inch squares that were sewn and patched into different sizes.  So, I just sewed and sewed on Tuesday until all the squares were gone.  Now, I have to look here at home and see what I have to finish it.  Right now it measures 28" wide and 52" long.  I still have a few squares left, so we will see.


On Wednesday I pulled out the UFO from the Quilt Retreat I went to with Kaffe Fassett in October, 2015.  It is two of the blocks from his quilt Scrappy Trip Around the World.


I need to still fix one square that is in the wrong place on the block on the left and rotate a couple of the squares in the block on the right.  Then I can finish sewing the rows together.  I am going to make two individual wall hangings out of each block and hang them in my quilting rooms.

Thursday, I worked on a Mystery quilt from Kim's Facebook group called Quilt-A-Long.  I got as far as I could because the 4th row is hiding in the house here somewhere and I could not find it before I left.


I was also able to make a block using the gridded iron-on interfacing and did a little impromptu class to show the girls how much faster this method is than the traditional method like the Scrappy Trip Around the World blocks I worked on the day before.


Finally, I finished the Jelly Roll Race Quilts that I am making for a couple of cute ladies at our local assisted living facility.  They are a little narrow (40 inches) so I may add something fun to the sides.


I was busy the entire time with sewing or eating or laughing or playing games or winning prizes.  Here are some pictures of the girls at play!!




And then the piece de resistance of the retreat is the parade with costumes reflecting the theme of the retreat ~


My cute friend, Giny was the Queen and wonderful Kim was the King and as they walked into the room, they looked soooo regal - I got tears in my eyes!!  Giny made that gorgeous dress and won first prize!!

Then came other characters from the Kingdom of Quilt-A-Lot.  The gal on the right is Kathy and she was my roommate.  Hope we are roommates again next year!!  She is great!!



And I got a great funny picture of Susan, the Queen of the Retreat!!  She is so funny and quite the darling lady!!


I had a ball and the time just flew by.  Next year the theme is Quilters Under the Sea!!  Can't wait!!

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow--these ladies take their costumes VERY seriously! And it looks like tons of fun, Kris! Glad you have found a fun bunch to quilt with there.
You made great progress on your projects. Doesn't it feel good?
Maybe you could go as a mermaid next year--or a crab? LOL

WoolenSails said...

What a fun retreat and fun costumes. It looks like you got a lot done, I need to get back to mine and finish them, as well.

Debbie