Sunday, December 30, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching ~

I know I am coming very late to the party, but last week when I visited Denise's blog - Count It all Joy, I fell in love with the idea of doing quiet hand work on Sunday instead of the frazzled up and down sewing required to make a quilt.  You know, cutting at the work table, running to the sewing machine, running to the iron, etc., etc.  Although I do really only WALK from station to station, but it is a lot of activity.


So, I decided that not only would I honor the Sabbath by doing quiet handwork, but I would also only work on gifts for others or charity projects.

I am not sure if this project is considered "stitching" on a quilting blog but I do love to knit and this is a VERY special project for me!!

When I was down in St. George (Utah) with my Dad these past few years, I had the opportunity to meet the cutest little 94 year-old lady when her daughter asked me to "granny sit" with her 4 days a week for a few hours each day.  Well, when I went over to Leonora's, I would take some kind of handwork and whenever I took knitting, she would pull out this old bag with a partially finished sweater in it and tell me about the sweater she had been knitting.  The yarn was the mohair you see above and the sweater was only half made.  Plus, it was so small, Leonora could never have fit in it even if she could still finish it (she has macular degeneration and a bit of dementia now).

Well, one day, she asked if I would make her a sweater from the yarn she still had left - oh what an honor for me.  There was not enough yarn to make a sweater that would fit her, so I decided to make her this beautiful lace scarf.  I am almost done with it and I have been working day and night on it because Leonora's daughter said she is not doing too well and I want to make sure she gets it before she goes to meet Jesus.


I added the second yarn, a merino wool and silk blend to make the scarf a bit richer and more full bodied.  I think Leonora must have started her sweater back in the 1960's and the Columbia Minerva Mohair Blend is no longer available.  It is now considered vintage - kinda like Leonora!!

I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts and Slow Stitchin' Sunday - come on over and see what everyone is working on!!

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Beautiful idea, Kris. I hope you can have it finished in time to give the gift before the recipient goes for her final reward. : )

elliek said...

Ditto what Janet has said.I like the idea of a quiet day stitching. I have some hearts to needleturn but finding that spare moment just ain't happening. Wishing you all the best for 2013.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful story of this gift!
Thanks for sharing it with us!

scraphappy said...

What a beautiful story. I hope you are able to finish the scarf in time.

Deb said...

I love the idea of Slow Sunday Stitching! My thumbs will no longer let me knit, but I still love embroidery and hand stitch. I think I will attempt Slow Sunday Stitching in 2013. Thanks for the idea!
PS: I'm still alive and kicking and planning to be a better blogger in 2013!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Such a pretty color and a special qift. A slow Sunday is a lovely idea.

Nancy said...

You are such a thoughtful person and what a lovely story.

Denise :) said...

What beautiful, beautiful yarn! And what a sweet gift ... and I hope you enjoyed your sweet Sabbath afternoon! :)