Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Little Sneeky Peek . . .

 Doll Quilters


at my very first "Doll Quilt Swap" quilt!  I am just showing a tiny piece because my swap partner may be checking in and I don't want to give too much away!!


I am using Salt Air by Cosmos Cricket for Moda Fabrics ~


I chose this fabric not only because I love all the great colors and fun patterns but Salt Air has a very fun memory for me.  The real Saltair was a popular resort located on the South shore of the Great Salt Lake west of Salt Lake City, Utah where I grew up.  Opened in 1893, Saltair attracted bathers and hosted picnics and dances. It had a giant roller coaster known all over the state


The buildings were built right on the Great Salt Lake, which was so salty that you could float!!


My Dad and his partner owned the concession stands with all the soda pop, peanuts, hotdogs, popcorn, candy and cotton candy a kid could ever eat!!


In 1970, a fire completely destroyed Salt Air ~


But as I work with this fun fabric, childhood memories fill my head!! Hmmmmm, I just thought - kind of neat that I am making a "doll" quilt with this fun fabric!!

5 comments:

Gill said...

I too like the 'Saltair' line but I didn't realise it was the name of a place!
Thanks!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for sharing the history of the fabric line and what it represented - especially to you.

Denise :) said...

Oooh ... love sneaky-peaks!!! :)

Butter Beans and Roses said...

mmm, looks great! Can't wait to see the whole quilt!!

Chris said...

I knew about the Salt Air but did not know there was a fabric line. I love the fabric :)