I had a chance over the weekend to work on my Kool Kaleidoscope. If you remember, this was my first round:
Now, this is the strata for round 2:
I chose a couple of the same fabrics from the first strata to give the piece some consistency. I had a couple of problems with this strata though. Even though I do not stretch the fabric as I sew the strips together, I ended up with a curved strata when all the pieces were sewn together. Actually, as I added each strip, the curve got curvier and curvier. I don't remember this being a problem the first time around.
I did hear somewhere that if I sew one strip on from one end and then start the next strip from the other end, I will not have this curing problem. Does anyone know if this is true??
The second problem was self inflicted and is a major no-no. I cut out the first two pie-shaped pieces and could not get the rows to match up when I laid them on top of each other (fabric front facing) to click the seams together. Then I realized that the orange dot fabric on the one strata was wider than the orange dot on the second strata!! Oh No!!! I am not sure how I managed that because I THOUGHT I had followed Ricky's directions on cutting. Guess not. So, I had to unpick the one row, cut the 1/4" off it, sew it together and start again.
Thankfully, I found the problem out before I cut more than two pieces - otherwise I would not have had enough fabric left to make the 6 pie-shaped pieces!!!
So, even though I do not have a design wall in place to give you the perfect look, here is the results of the first two sections:
I am not thrilled with the two reds that touch each other on the outside side of the purple piece, but I am hoping that after it is sewn together the reds will not touch each other. Also, I am going to try sewing one row from one end and then sewing the next row from the opposite end!! I'll let you know if it works better!!
I am going to get my design wall in place this week so that the next row will fit in the picture!! :--))