Thursday, February 1, 2018

Quilts of Valor Quilt . . .

I have the privilege of making a Quilts of Valor quilt for one of the players in my Thursday bridge group who is a Vietnam vet.  Don is a really nice man and some of us girls are especially fond of him because he is the only guy in our Friday party bridge group!!  And he puts up with all us old biddies!!

Here are two of the blocks i have made so far and I would like your opinion.


I love the blue one but I am afraid that the cream on the red one is too blendy with the background.  What do you think?


I am using the Big Star pattern by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company.  Jenny uses a Layer Cake which are 10" in squares but I cut mine down to 9" squares so the quilt was closer to a large lap quilt instead of the size for a double bed.

Here is the Youtube if you have not seen this quilt.  It's fast, it's fun and it can be a great stash buster ~

5 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I agree too blendy. How cool he puts up with you ladies of wisdom.

Roxanne said...

How lucky Don is!
If there are a lot of stars it could be fine. I tend to like those “fade-outs” in quilts. Maybe after you do more blocks you can see how you like it.

Janet O. said...

You aren't biddies, you are his buddies! :)
Much as I hate to see a good block cast aside, it really makes a totally different brand of star. I'd use more contrast.

Sherrill said...

Yes, it is blendy. Pretty but doesn't show up well. I'm making QOV's for every guy in my Sunday School class (there was one couple who'd both been in Vietnam so they shared a larger quilt). I've done a variety of patterns but the one I use most is the one used for Home of the Brave. Easy to trim if several are working on the blocks which there used to be.

elliek said...

Think I agree with everyone, too blendy