Friday, June 3, 2011

Nearly Insane Thursday Tumbled into Friday

Yesterday was just one of those days!!!

Typically I would have shown you my newest Nearly Insane block but when sharing last week's block, I got some really nice comments by quilters who have finished their entire Nearly Insane Quilt and when I looked at the completed quilts, I decided that the super bright, almost neon colors, I have used on my last three blocks was going to be even too bright for me!!

So, I decided to re-think the colors and fabrics I will use for my Nearly Insane Quilt and thought that a small wall hanging with my three bright blocks would be so much fun!!


Also, I thought this would be the perfect project for me to learn how to hand quilt!!  Oh, my!!  I am not even sure how to go about learning to hand quilt.  Do I need to get a book??  Will that be enough??  Do I need to take a class?  Can I learn on my own??  Find a grandma who would tutor me??

How did you all learn to hand quilt??  

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Kris - I love the idea of the 3 block wallhanging. Use a google search of ' hand quilting tutorials' there are many!! BUT black is the hardest to SEE to quilt - unless you use a colored thread - black on black is a strain.

Linda said...

I have a book for you.

Nancy said...

Love your wallhanging. I just read a book but now there is so much information on the web.

Pat said...

The hand quilting that I've done has been stitching 1/4 inch from the seam line (outline), or stitching around a pattern in the fabric (i.e. bear) or tracing a stencil of a flower or star and stitching on the stencil line. I don't do the 'rocking' motion of 'real' hand quilters. I just use a running stitch. I love to see the stitching, so mine are probably longer than most. Good luck.

Nedra said...

I would still like to learn, and have found a little group here in Arizona that will teach me as they work on a charity quilt.
You also might try checking with the guild.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Wish you lived close to me so I could teach you!!! Boy would we have fun!
xx, shell