Thursday, April 28, 2011

Five Little Orphans Vanishing 9 Patch

Pauline, over at A Stitching Frenzy asked how big would this quilt be with only 5 FQs and some additional green fabric.  Well, I thought about it and decided that I could get the best bang for my buck if I make 9 patches.  I figured out how big each piece had to be so I could use up almost all of each FQ.  The size came out to be 3-1/2 inches - making a 9 inch block.
This way, I could extend my little orphan FQs to almost double.  Then, I decided that even though this would be a cute quilt, it might be a bit boring (for my taste) and I decided to cut the 9 patches into fourths.
I took the focus fabrics and placed them across from each other in the middle of the new blocks. 
Now, I have an 8 inch (finished block) Vanishing 9 patch!!  I think I can make 16 blocks, which will give me a 36" by 36" table topper!!

Also, check out Pauline's post What's your Royal Wedding Name and which Tiara will you be wearing?  Its VERY cute!!!

2 comments:

Sleepy Cat Hollow said...

ok...going to try to comment again. Blogger must hate me. I've tried 3 times on 3 different posts!

Love the layout you made with the disappearing 9 patches!

Pauline said...

*blushing*, thanks Kris! So, 5 FQs and some extra can make about 36x 36? That's really good to know, because when I buy fabric without a particular quilt in mind, I'm not sure how much to buy. I think I buy too much (is that possible?) but this is a great guide for me to use!


I really like that block you've made by cutting and rotating. When I've seen this made elsewhere, it hasn't looked as pleasing on the eye, and hard to see the 'vanishing' part. Your combination of fabrics does it justice! Love the green fabric, btw.